Last year roller skating has grown in popularity during the pandemic. New skaters brought their vibe into the sports.
Roller skating exploded in summer 2020 – helped along by social media. The perception of skating changed with this dynamic as well. Here are 10 things, I noticed.
- The meaning of skating compromises all activities as long as skates are involved. Whether pole dancing, or minimal movements.
- Skating has emancipated from constraints of rinks. Alternative spots increased attractiveness.
- Skating became inseparable cross-linked to online tutorials. No step without video example.
- Fashion, music, scenery, evolved as important aspects of skating. Fashion industry is inexorably in adoption of trends.
- Black history of skating is finally acknowledged, but still underappreciated. Social media algorithm value quantity over quality.
- Skaters care more about brands, than customized rollers skates parts for specific needs. Prestige over performance.
- Finally the roller skate emoji was issued. But initial proposal dated back already 4 years, so skating resurge took a run.
- Skaters transform their fame to become product brands and global influencers. Celebrity culture unfortunately doesn’t respect skills.
- Skate music is retro-ish. Formerly roller skating music inspired and influenced dance music, now skate tunes are only reminiscently.
- Almost all skate events were canceled, among them Skate Love Barcelona, the largest European roller skate festival. See you in Barcelona in September 2021.